Blogging for business can be challenging. Here are 10+ blog post ideas to get you started.
Writing a blog post can feel a lot like when you had an essay due in school. You stared at the blank paper. You arranged pens, made another cup of coffee. You sat back down. Flipped through magazines.
When attempting to write your blog post, I’m guessing that you’ve stared at that white screen with the little cursor mercilessly blinking back at you in mockery of your empty thoughts.
Am I right?
Tip: Keep each blog post to one idea or answer one question.
Think of what your clients would type into a Google search when looking for your services or products or to learn more about your industry to help them make a buying decision.
Some easy-to-write blog post ideas for several different industries:
Accounting, Bookkeeping, and Finance websites:
- What is the difference between a CPA and CGA?
- What is the difference between a bookkeeper and an accountant?
- When do I know if it’s time to hire an accountant?
- Should my new business be a sole-proprietorship or should I incorporate?
- How can an accountant save me money on my income tax?
Here is a useful accounting blog example: http://www.accountantinkelowna.com/2015/04/01/protect-yourself-from-fraud/
Holistics + Healing websites:
- What is a natural way to heal _______ without using medication?
- Are massage therapists (or acupuncture or chiropractors or naturopaths) covered by _____ (your state or province) medical plans?
- Will muscle testing (or EFT/tapping or acupuncture) work on my illness?
- How do I know if ______ is working for me?
- Podcast episode: Featuring _______ talking about ________
Here is a health practitioner’s blog post example: http://whisperingenergetic.ca/episode-52-bill-henderson-2/ This is also a great way of creating “show notes” with keywords that will help people (and Google) find you, and sharing other related episodes to keep people on your website longer (search engines reward you for this!).
Restaurants, Cafes, and other food related, location based websites:
- Should everyone have a gluten-free diet?
- 5 reasons why organic and fair-trade products are good for everyone.
- 10 yummy recipes you can make at home.
- If you are a business that relies on tourism or if you have a number of locations, you could create a blog post with a photo gallery or “top 10 things to do in _______ “
Here is a photo gallery example on a cafe website: http://www.blissbakery.ca/project/kelowna-okanagan-valley/
Web design/SEO/Social Media Marketing:
- What’s the difference between a web designer and a web developer?
- What is a domain name? How much should I pay for web hosting?
- What is the easiest way to make my own website?
- What should I think about before creating my website?
- Does social media affect SEO (search engine optimization)?
- Should I hire a web designer or DIY my website?
You create some evergreen content (information that stands the test of time – usually strategy and concepts, such as the still-popular business books written decades ago like The E-Myth or Think And Grow Rich), and you can repurpose it for years, by sharing it periodically on your social networks or in your email newsletters.
Your blog post can get found in an internet search, but it’s also a way of answering repeat questions your clients have, or making a connection with someone new by being helpful – just send them a link to your blog article that will help solve their problem. Quick and easy, and you won’t come across as pushy or salesy.
STILL STUCK? Try a list:
You can change to whatever # you want, but 3, 5, 7, 10, 25 and 100 work well.
- 10 ways to ______ when you need/want to ______
- 7 steps to overcoming _______
- 3 reasons ______ is like/better than _______
- Ultimate resource guide: 50 _______ you must read/use/have if you are a serious ______
- 5 ______ trends you need to know in _____ (year)
- 25 places to find ________
- 10 surefire strategies to _______
- 5 clever ______ tips to help you ______________
- 3 essential ways to ________
Still need more list ideas? Check out the trending lists on Listly for more inspiration. You can even create your own list and get more views for your own blog post!
BONUS TIP: What if I’m not a good writer?
Let me share a few suggestions:
Your writing, grammar, and spelling does not have to be perfect… it just has to be relevant to your audience.
- If you don’t like writing, consider an alternative form of communication. Video blogging (or vlogging) is super effective because if you upload a video to YouTube you get the added benefit of having your video in TWO search engines. YouTube is actually the 2nd largest search engine after Google…plus, it’s owned by Google, so double-whammy! You can record short tutorial videos to demonstrate how to do something (in fact, you don’t even need to be in front of the camera if you do a recording of your screen, using software like Camtasia, Screenflow or Jing)
- Start a podcast or simply record an audio on your smartphone and upload the mp3 to your blog post. Nowadays people are busy and often listen on-the-go while driving, jogging, or doing chores.
- Record your thoughts and have them transcribed (you can find admins and virtual assistants on Upwork.com), then copy them to your blog post. You could go one step further and create a downloadable worksheet, ebook or checklist, and if you wish you could even get viewers to subscribe in order to access it. (This is called a “content upgrade”).
- Instead of a blog post, try livestreaming with Periscope, Facebook Live, Blab or Snapchat. No do-overs or trying to get it perfect – that’s the beauty of doing it live. Plus your followers can engage with you in real time.
I'm ready to start #blogging with these 10+ easy blog post ideas! Click To Tweet
Can you brainstorm at least 10 easy topics to blog about quickly?
Is there a trick you use to overcome writers’s block and get over that blank screen syndrome? Share it in the comments below.
*** This blog post is part of the #30DayContentChallenge. Want to take up of the challenge yourself, or view all 30 days of the content and tips on this blog? Click here.